Welcome To Lewis Fork Baptist Church's Website
History of Lewis Fork Baptist Church
The Lewis Fork Baptist Church is located eleven miles west of Wilkesboro on Hwy #421 and twenty-one miles east of Boone, in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains in Wilkes County, North Carolina.
The year was 1792. The Declaration of Independence was only 16 years old, the United States Constitution was hardly three. The president was George Washington. It appears that some time in 1792 a small group of Christians decided that they wanted a church in their community to worship in, as a result, Lewis Fork Missionary Baptist Church was organized, with Rev. George William McNeill reported to have been the founder of the church. Services were held in this building for a period of about 28 years. Free school was also taught in this building for a number of years. In 1820 this building was dismantled and another log building was erected in its place. It was used to hold preaching services in until about 1909.
As to whom the first pastors of our church were, we do not know. A member of the church at that time remembered well of hearing his father and mother tell about one, Rev. Daniel Welborn, who lived in Boomer, NC a distance of about 12 miles from Lewis Fork Baptist Church, riding a horse and forging the Yadkin River each time he came to preach and was paid with one pair of homemade knitted stockings each year for his 13 years of service. These stocking were by Elvira Triplette. There have been 27 pastors from 1841 until the present time.
The first time that we find Sunday School mentioned in the minutes is at the April meeting in 1879. Again in May 1889 the minutes show that the church voted to have a Sabbath School an appointed George F. Manual as Superintendent; and at the May meeting in 1892, the church met at 10:00 on Sunday morning and organized a Sunday School.
In 1909 It was decided to erect a new building. This building was a frame building, ceiled and weather boarded, and used for church services until 1947 when the church decided to erect a new building. It was remodeled in 1965 and a complete renovation in 1976. Another beautiful building was completed in the year 2000 consisting of a sanctuary and a fellowship hall.
The church voted to call a full time pastor in January 1970. Rev. Sherrill Wellborn was called in April 1971 and stepped down April 15th 2012 after faithfully serving the congregation for 41 years. Dwayne Andrews was called as next pastor on June 10, 2012. The church ordained Pastor Andrews July 1, 2012.